The Paris Air Show started in 1908 as part of the 11th Paris Automobile Show, then held in the Grand Palais in the heart of Paris.
An overview of the first Salon International de Aeronautique 24 – 30 December 1908.
The first exhibition devoted entirely to aircraft is organized at the Grand-Palais by André
Granet and Robert Esnault-Pelterie. The exhibition is held annually until 1924, with a gap
between 1913 and 1919 during the First World War.
Grand Palais in September 1909
The 9th Paris Air Show 1924 is the first to feature foreign exhibitors (mostly British and German
manufacturers). It is also from this year onwards that the Show is held only every two years.
Morane Saulnier MS225 was a French fighter aircraft of the 1930’s. It was produced in limited quantities to be used as a transitional aircraft between the last of the biplanes and the first monoplane fighters.
The 16th and last aviation fair before the second world war with later famous aircraft as the Caudron 713, Morane-Saulnier MS406, Hawker Hurricane and Vickers Supermarine Spitfire.
The first flying displays take place at the 17th Paris Air Show in 1946 at Orly airport.
1951 Le Bourget airport becomes France’s second airport and specializes in business aviation.
The fact that it is less busy means it can now be the venue for the Paris Air Show.
In 1965, the Soviet Union unveiled its Mil Mi-6 Hook, Mi-8 Hip and Mi-10 Harke helicopters at Le Bourget. The helicopters immediately attracted the attention of experts. The Antonov An-22 Antei / Cock strategic airlifter, which was displayed as a civilian airplane, caused quite a stir. The heavy-duty An-22, the first Soviet wide-body aircraft, was fitted with turboprop engines.
In 1973, a Tupolev Tu-144 Charger supersonic airliner (SST) took off from Le Bourget for the first time but crashed during that same show. The Tu-144 became the first commercial SST in history.
All Pictures are taken from billboards in and around the Paris Air Show of 2009.
With this picture our interest in the Paris Air Show started. The picture is made by Rob Vogelaar June 5th 1983 near ESTEC Noordwijk, Netherlands. The Boeing Space Shuttle combination was seen here during a trip from Le Bourget to London and Amsterdam.